Cbus

This time last year, moving to Columbus, I resolved to get out and enjoy the city before the cold northern winter I was so afraid of set in. I did venture out, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped to. This August I'm re-resolving to see a little more of the city and spend some time outdoors.

I also have to do it on the cheap (don't we all). Here are a few links to get newbies started exploring Columbus and to get those of us who have been here awhile outside of our comfort zones and regular routines.

I also remember that there was a new things group last year that met for a few months and got people together for things like cooking, festivals, and new movies. If people are interested PQW would is also a great place to organize other grad students.


Experience Columbus AND the Experience Columbus Blog
Experience Columbus is the official website for the Convention and Visitor's Bureau. A lot of the info is about touring companies and shows (which cost money), but they also publicize arts events, and festivals that are free. I subscribe to the monthly e-newsletter so I know what's going on in town.

Columbus Parks and Recreation (Park Guide)

Yay Bikes

Columbus Festivals Guide

Columbus Underground

News and reviews of clubs, bars, and restaurants in the Columbus area. There's also a nice feature where you search articles and happenings by neighborhood-- your new neighborhood.

Under the Table
Food guide from Columbus Dining Guide.com and the Dispatch. Check out the posts on the farmers markets and local summer foods.

The Columbus Dispatch Blogs
The biggest newspaper in Columbus, maintains a site with dozens of news, sports, and entertainments blogs.

Professional Columbus Sports Teams
the Columbus Crew (soccer)
the Blue Jackets (hockey)
the Columbus Clippers (baseball)


Arts Blogs from OSU
The Wexner Center for the Arts and The Wex Blog
Check out the free outdoor movies series and the performing arts Fall calendar.

The Urban Arts Space and UAS Blog

WOSU Arts Blog

Feel free to post more in the comments section.

0 comments: