Oh Hello.

My name is Evan Thomas. I'm a first-year MA from Dayton, Ohio. I like Dayton, but I like other things, too, such as comic books, science fiction, and regular-type fiction. I've worn a suit to class the past two days, and this pattern shows no sign of breaking.

If you've sat next to me, you may have noticed that I doodle. I keep focused by keeping my hands busy, usually practicing calligraphy. I learned calligraphy from my grandfather and a stack of magazines. Today I was thinking about the calligrapher Ewan Clayton, so I practiced the word "blessed" in some variations on Gaellic and Germanic letters.

Ewan Clayton wrote one of my favorite quotes about paper. He said,
"...I realized that written bits of paper enable certain kinds of human activity to take place. This may take the form of artistic appreciation, but it may take the form of a shopping list or a prayer, its function may be to provide a meeting place so that certain thing can happen."

These are my doodles from today.

P.S. My wife says I forgot to mention her. I'm the husband of Erica Haugtvedt.

0 comments: