Jenny Steps Up


I’m Jenny, a first-year MFA student focusing on creative nonfiction. Here’s what you won’t find on Facebook:

  • I broke my foot the day before PQW began.
  • I was obsessed with UFOs when I was in eighth grade, convinced I’d seen one with red lights above my backyard.
  • I’m into autobiographical graphic novels such as Maus, Blankets, Essex County and Fun Home.
  • A southern accent emerges when I drink too much.
  • I can’t wait to get to the sled hill when it snows.
  • Many days I don’t feel like a grown-up, despite being a wife and mother.
  • I believe things happen for a reason.

3 comments:

Hye Su Park said...

I wish we could talk more about graphic novels next time, maybe when your foot get better! :)

Jenny Patton said...

Hello Hye Su! Have you read "American Born Chinese" by Gene Yang? If not, I'll bring it for you to borrow. The other multi-cultural GNs that come to mind are Locas I and II about a hispanic-American character.

Hye Su Park said...

Yes, I did read "American Born Chinese." Aactually, I talked a little about this novel at the introduction of my essay, which I contributed to a forthcoming collection of essays on multicultural GNs. I haven't read Locas I&II though.. I should check them out! Thanks!